Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 December 2012

What is Depression ?

Dr. Gary Kohls has an interesting perspective.  Perhaps depression is simply sadness.  It may be deep and prolonged or it may be passing.  If so, why are we medicating people who are sad?  What good does it do?  Is it harmful more than helpful?  Here is another interesting perspective.  What do some psychiatrists say when asked ?  It is worth pointing out, respectfully, that counsellors are not psychiatrists and normally do not rely on drugs or labels when working with people.  I don't endorse everthing said by the various psychiatrists I've highlighted on this Blog but their views are worthy of consideration when deciding the best course of action to take with any mental health concern.

2 comments:

  1. such a nice blog. keep it up.I'd like to offer my "positive interest" as a counsellor, and wonder if this may open into more discussion here or elsewhere. I'll await something from the blog author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a counsellor that told me that depression is a very real thing, but that it can be the result of one or two things. One is negative thinking and the other is a chemical imbalance. From personal experience, I think the best thing to try first is to attack negative thinking. That way, people who don't need to be medicated aren't. Sometimes just being able to talk and work through your problems with someone who won't interrupt or judge you is helpful. http://www.martinluckhurstpsychologists.com

    ReplyDelete